November 21, 2007

Sitting and Sleeping - Zazen Meditation at 7am

I've been diligently attending my 7am Tuesday Zazen sitting and walking meditation.

Oh, how hard it is to get up that early. To shower, eat and be there by 7. In order to sit. And do nothing.

I love doing nothing. It's one of my favorite things to do. I think that's why I enjoy driving so much. I can do nothing, and it's expected. I don't feel the least bit guilty about not doing dishes.

Doing nothing at 7am. That's rough. When I get to the yoga studio, I'm still asleep.

Surprisingly, I don't feel like I'm going to fall asleep during Zazen. I'm OK all the way through, go through my normal Zazen mantras, counting, breathing, etc. Then I come home. Where the couch calls me. And I succumb to the Siren's call.

It's not like there's a better time to meditate. If I don't do it at 7, it won't get done. And, isn't part of the whole purpose of practice, making a decision to be dedicated and doing it even when I don't feel like it?

Maybe, maybe not. But I keep going. And keep sitting.

2 comments:

tania choi said...

that's amazing that you sit zazen. the closest i've got is doing
Iyengar yoga by candlelight right before bedtime.i'm sure you read natalie goldberg right ? she's a great zen practioner. how encouraging!

Tammy said...

Unfortunately, I haven't gone in 3 weeks. I'm going to post about it.

I love Natalie Goldberg. :)

Iyengar by candlelight sounds wonderful.