February 26, 2012

Separation of Church and State

If we have leaders who derive their governance from their religion, we do not have freedom from religion. It shall be imposed on us from the leaders' decisions.

We are granted the freedom from religion in the same way we are granted freedom of religion, by our constitution. They are one and the same. Our laws and governing bodies cannot bring in their religious beliefs without imposing religion on their constituents. Here's why:

"Freedom of religion, if it is going to apply to everyone, also requires freedom from religion. Why is that? You do not truly have the freedom to practice your religious beliefs if you are also required to adhere to any of the religious beliefs or rules of other religions." - Austin Cline

Although I do not have a problem with any governing leader to be any religion, I do oppose any law making, governance, or justification for laws based on any religion. I particularly oppose these things justified by a god. I do not believe in a god as part of my religion, so I shall not have this god imposed on me by my legislators.

Do not allow your legislators to make decisions based on religion, even if you agree with their religious views. It sets a precedent that we all will not be free from religion, and there for not free to practice our own religions as we see fit.

Keep religion out of the government. Keep kind, generous, God loving people in there if you want, but tell them to keep their religion out of it and be good people because it's simply the humanly right thing to do.

No comments: